Police promise fairness in Shatta Wale case

Google search engine

The Ghana Police Service has promised to ensure that the 48-hour minimum period of holding a suspect in their custody will be adhered to in the Shatta Wale gun shooting saga.

The Dancehall artiste, born Charles Nii Armah Mensah, turned himself in on Tuesday, October 19 at 8:59pm after he was declared wanted by the police.

The police, therefore, have up to 8:59pm Thursday, October 21 to arraign him before a court of competent jurisdiction.

The popular musician reported himself to the police after Bishop Stephen Kwesi Appiah of New Life Kingdom Chapel, who had prophesied an attack on him on Monday, October 18, had been picked up.

Late Monday, October 18, there were reports that Shatta Wale had been shot by some unknown gunmen.

But in a lengthy Facebook post on Tuesday, October 19, the multiple hitmaker apologized to his fans, stopping short of saying whether the incident was true or not.

But the police described it as a hoax and picked up two of his boys.

Talking about the latest development on 3FM’s Sunrise hosted by Alfred Ocansey, the Director of Public Affairs at the Police Headquarters, Superintendent Alexander Kwaku Obeng, confirmed that Shatta Wale “is in our custody”.

“He is fine. He is at a public place called the police station and we are investigating him.

“Investigations are ongoing and we will communicate to the people of Ghana in due course, and let me express our appreciation to the media for helping in this issue.”

Asked when the musician will be arraigned before court, Supt Kwaku Obeng said: “The day has just begun. It can be anytime. We are just looking at the 48 hours but what we are focusing on now is to ensure fair trial at our level and we will definitely get to that”.

“We will charge him and caution him when the time comes”.

On the arrest of Bishop Kwesi Appiah, Supt Obeng said “the investigators are working on it. If there is the need to charge him, we shall charge him”.

By Kweku Antwi-Otoo|3news.com|Ghana