According to the Alliance, the police appear to be abusing the Act.
This concern comes after the police secured an ex-parte injunction to restrain the group from picketing at the head office of the Electoral Commission on Tuesday, September 29. Let My Vote Count had notified the police of its intention to march to the EC’s office again.
Addressing journalists on Wednesday, September 23, Mr Asante said next week’s march to the EC’s office is not to revenge the action of the police last Wednesday, September 16.
It is to bring finality to the goal of presenting a petition to the Commission, he said.
Last week’s march was marred by the firing of rubber bullets and spraying of tear gas and hot water by the police, leaving several injured.
President John Dramani Mahama has condemned the action of the police, calling for an internal probe into the incident.
Opposition Leader Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has also condemned the police action, but called for an independent investigation into the incident.
The pressure group said it will go all lengths to seek justice for the victims of last Wednesday’s brutalities.
A fund has also been set up to cater for the injured, among whom is Justice Adzakumah, who lost an eye.
“Lawyers are compiling the evidence to file a suit against the Police for all the victims of Black Wednesday,” David Asante disclosed.
It asked Ghanaians to join the march on Tuesday – albeit injuncted by the police.
By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana