Chaos at Okorase; car set ablaze over disappearance of carpenter.

Residents of Okorase in the Akwapim North District of the Eastern Region on Monday evening went on the rampage, setting ablaze a car to register their displeasure over the sudden disappearance of one man.

The angry residents say the Police has been dragging its heels in investigating a fetish priest who they suspect of being behind the disappearance of the 35-year old carpenter, Kojo Yebaoah.

The Police on Monday kept the priest in its custody to protect him from being lynched by the residents after a search team failed to find the missing carpenter.

As residents massed up to the Police Station with tempers flared, the Police moved the priest from their custody to an unknown location amidst firing of warning shots but that did not scare the residents from approaching the Police Station.

A car belonging to the priest, and parked along the roadside in front of the Police Station was set ablaze by the angry residents, causing traffic on the road.

The residents did not understand why the Police was protecting the priest who it said has failed to investigate the priest for the disappearance of the carpenter.

For over three hours, the Police could not control the crowd who pelted them with stones until reinforcement arrived to bring the situation under control.

Personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service were called in to extinguish the fire but the car was totally burnt.

Family sources told TV3 that Ntow left home three weeks ago in the company of two others including the fetish priest in search of some special “green bottles” to sell for money.

READ ALSO:  Nothing stops you from getting private security - Security Expert to Bagbin

According to them, Yeboah never returned and all efforts to reach him on phone and other means have not yielded any result.

The family sources say they later saw the priest in the town, and quickly reported the matter to the Police, who met with them and the priest after which an agreement was reached for a search team to be dispatched to Apam in the Central Region where the three had gone in search of the bottles.

On Monday, the team comprising Police officers, family members and the priest went to Apam to search for Yeboah but did not find him. They then returned to Okorase.

“Rituals and other efforts did not help find the body or give a clue or direction to the whereabouts of the missing man,” one family member told TV3.

In view of the development, the Police sensing danger, decided to keep the priest in its custody to avoid him being lynched by the angry residents but that infuriated them the more as they suspected the Police was shielding him instead of investigating him.

Meanwhile, although calm has been restored, tension is still high in the area.

Source:|By Yvonne Neequaye