Nigerian singer and songwriter Burna Boy has threatened not to visit South Africa again if the government there fails to clamp down criminal elements engaged in the renewed xenophobic attacks.
His threat comes on the back of fresh attacks in South Africa which has led to the destruction of properties and lost of lives.
South African police have confirmed five deaths in the latest violent attacks on mostly Africa immigrants. Over 180 people have so far been arrested for the attacks, which has widely been condemned.
The afro-fusion singer said he had his own experience with xenophobic attacks when he last visited South Africa some time ago, and that, he has “not set foot in SA since 2017”
In one of his tweets condemning the latest development in the southern African nation, Burna Boy, urged the South African government to take immediately take steps to find a lasting solution to the recurring xenophobic attacks, failure of which will cause him not to ever take a trip to South Africa.
“And I will not ever go to South Africa again for any reason until the South African government wakes the f**k up and really performs a miracle because I don’t know how they can even possibly fix this [xenophobic attacks],” Burna Boy tweeted Tuesday.
Though he admitted there are some South Africans who are “amazing [and] progressive African people”, who he will continue to love despite the attacks on foreign nationals, he said those South Africans “are not many at all”.
He has meanwhile asked the affected persons to “protect and defend” themselves at all times, explaining that does not in anyway encourage violence, adding “it may not seem like it but there’s always a way”