72 Denkyira Obuasi BECE candidates sit exam at Diaso

Only one out of 73 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates from Denkyira Obuasi could not make it to the Upper Denkyira West district capital to write the ongoing examinations. A total of 468, 053 Junior High School candidates are sitting this year’s examinations across 1,702 examination centers throughout the country. The examinations which started today June 5, 2017 will end on June 9. Many had feared candidates from Denkyira Obuasi would not be able to take part in the exercise following the recent gruesome murder of a captain of the Ghana Armed Forces which caused many to flee the town to avoid a reprisal by the military. But Central Regional Director of Education, David Afram told TV3’s Thomas Cann that appeals made through various local radio stations to get the pupils to write the examinations produced result. [caption id="attachment_53397" align="aligncenter" width="564"] Some pupils taking part in the examination in the Central region[/caption] Mr. Afram who is accompanying the Deputy Minister Of Education Barbara Asher Ayisi who was visiting some centers in the Central Region said 72 out of the expected 73 candidates reported to the Diaso Senior High School to write the papers. He said following the murder of Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama on May 29, the candidates together with their “parents ran away”. The district education oversight committee, he stated,  met and strategise on how to get the pupils to write the examinations. Usually the candidates are conveyed from Denkyira Obuasi to sleep at Diaso ahead of the examinations. According to Mr. Afram, 70 pupils slept at Diaso yesterday with two others reporting on Monday morning. The only candidate that did not show up had been absent from school for about two months, he said. “So as at now all the candidates are at post and they are writing their BECE, 72 of them.”

READ ALSO:  Free SHS not actually free – Marricke Kofi Gane
By Isaac Essel |3news.com|Ghana]]>