The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration says evacuation of Ghana’s nationals from the crisis in Ukraine is still ongoing though some are unwilling to return home.
It said through the Honorary Consulate in Hungary, government continues to monitor the situation in Ukraine and “is redoubling efforts towards completing the evacuation of the remaining batch of students and other Ghanaians there”.
In a press release on Friday, March 18, the Ministry stated that so far 226 Ghanaians, mostly students, have been evacuated since the crisis began on Thursday, February 24.
“The evacuees, mostly students, were received upon arrival by various government officials, including officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration as well as others from the Mental Health Authority, who offered psycho-social support to our distressed compatriots.
“Most Ghanaians in Ukraine, including those under siege, have reportedly left to neighbouring countries.”
The Ministry said so far no tragic loss of life nor serious injuries have been reported about any Ghanaian.
It is only worried that against the backdrop of the prevailing situation and notwithstanding the readiness of the government to airlift compatriots home, some are still loath to the idea of returning home.
It expressed gratitude to all stakeholders particularly the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) in Ukraine for the success in the evacuation process so far.
By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana