Yendi now under control – Divisional Officer

Some Abudu youth allegedly pelted stones at some chiefs on Thursday, triggering disturbances[/caption] A joint police and military team is patrolling the streets of Yendi in the Northern Region following disturbances late Friday. This is to instill calm after the disturbances led to the death of one person, the police have said. A similar disturbance cranked up by youth said to be from the Abudu gate led to the burning of some houses on Thursday night. One person lost his life while three persons sustained various degrees of injury.

Friday’s disturbances, which erupted after Jummah prayers, is said to have been triggered by the demand of keys to the Mba Dugu Palace, which is being occupied by Bolin-Lana Abdulai Mahamadu. There has been an agreement for the Andani Royal Family, as part of the roadmap to peace in Dagbon, to get them access to the palace for the funeral of the late overlord of Dagbon, Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II, who died 17 years ago. The confusion that erupted led to the police firing warning shots, a situation that was reprised from several households around the palace. Watch below But speaking on News 360 on Friday, the Crime Officer at the Yendi Divisional Police Command, Superintendent Happy Addae, said “the situation is now under control”. He said the police-cum-military team is “doing patrols” on the streets of the traditional town. All entry points to Yendi, according to the senior police officer, have officers on high alert. “So for security,” he insisted, “we are on the ground.” The funeral rites, which would end on Friday, January 18, had to be suspended. It was scheduled to have begun on Friday, January 4 but had to be postponed as a result of the refusal by the Bolin-Lana to hand over keys to the Mba Dugu Palace. According to Supt. Addae, the police have no influence over the funeral as all events were arranged by the family. He assured that security will be provided should the family agree to continue the programme.
READ ALSO:  Yendi under curfew following the naming of Yaa-Naa's successor
By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh||Ghana ]]>