The Municipal Chief Executive for Bawku, Hamza Amadu, has indicated that the issues that resulted in the cut in water supply to the people of Bawku have been resolved.
He said he met the management of Ghana Water Limited (GWL) in Accra and discussed the issues with them, leading to an amicable solution.
Speaking in an interview with Beatrice Adu on the mid-day news on 3FM on Wednesday, February 7, he said “The matter between the Ghana Water Company and the people of Bawku has been resolved.
“I came to Accra and I met with the MD of the Ghana Water Company and some amicable solutions were made, the workers will be resuming work in Bawku. As I talk to you either they are on their way or plans have been made for them to return to work tomorrow and resume supplying water to the people of Bawku.”
Staff of the Ghana Water Limited (GWL) had been assured of 24-hour security in Bawku to enable them to carry out their work.
Communications Manager at the GWL, Stanley Martey, stated that due to the deadly conflict situation, most organizations have fled the area for safety.
“We all know the Bawku conflict started somewhere on 21st November and we are also aware of the situation in that area from that time till today. There have been serious issues including sporadic shootings and every time our staff are in danger.
“We are also aware that most organizations in that area have vacated the area. It is the only GCL that we are there to ensure water gets to the area but is getting to a point where they can’t risk their lives again,” he told Alfred Ocansey on the Ghana Tonight show on TV3 Tuesday February 7.
However, he added, they have been assured of a 24-hour security in the area.
“We had a final meeting today [Tuesfday], we are hopeful that they will assemble at the regional office in Bolga where we are going to drive them under security escort to Bawku so that they can start working and then we will be monitoring the security situation to see if it is feasible to work in that area or not ,” he said.
An earlier statement issued by the Managing Director, Ing Dr Clifford Braimah said “The dynamics of the conflict in Bawku has changed in recent times and the lives and safety of our staff in the District can no longer be guaranteed. The worsening security situation in the District has led to the revision of the curfew hours by the Minister of Interior.
The release dated January 29 stated further that, “We will however, resume our operations when the security situation improves,”
Bawku has been in the news lately, due to renewed conflict in the area.
The Member of Parliament for Bawku Central, Mahama Ayariga on January 20 urged Parliament to intervene in the escalating conflict in Bawku.
The Legislator wants Parliament to investigate the harmful actions that have led to the death of some five persons including the alleged murder of three young men by some soldiers.
“I want Parliament to go into this matter. It’s been happening…because of the conflict situation, there has been some level of tolerance of misconduct, but the excesses are becoming too much. So, we need to step up and demand some accountability even from the military,” Mr. Ayariga said in an interview on Key Points on TV3.