A young couple together with their one-and-a-half-year-old daughter living at Borga Town in the Ga East municipality of the Greater Accra Region has been rendered homeless and helpless after their only room was burnt to ashes Monday evening.
Phillip Asante and Eunice Agyalawa, and their daughter Asantewaa had to spend last night in a church building because they lost their abode to the tragic incident.
An eyewitness said the fire started around 8:00 p.m. Monday after a leaking gas cylinder which had not been properly handled, exploded while Eunice was preparing supper on a coal pot in the kitchen.
The explosion happened soon after Eunice dashed out of the room with her kid after she sensed that the room was no longer safe.
Even though the Fire Service came in to douse the fire, the couple could not save anything except their own lives and the clothes they were wearing at the time.
Asante Phillip, 35-year-old, comes from Kwahu in the Western Region and has lived at Borga Town for the past three years engaging in menial masonry while his wife, Eunice Agyalawa also engages in petty trade, selling plastics to keep their family.
Speaking to 3news.com, Mr. Asante said his family spent last night at the Apostolic Church in Borga Town but was unsure where they will spend the subsequent nights. Under the circumstance, he said they may have to prepare a nearby uncompleted building to lay their heads for the mean time.
According to him, their most immediate needs are what to eat, drink and wear as they have lost everything to the fire.
He has therefore appealed to the general public to support them in any way that can keep his family going.
Having lost their mobile phones too to the fire, he says, he can be contacted through a neighbor’s phone number 0245618070, a contact he says, is registered on Mobile Money with the name Eric Yaboah.