The police say they have no logistical challenges in executing Operation Covid Safety.
Speaking on TV3/3FM’s The Key Points on Saturday, the Director of Public Affairs of the Ghana Police Service insists that not only are police officers but all other officers are well catered for for the Operation.
Superintendent Sheila Kese Abeyie-Buckman told Abena Tabi that protective items such as nose masks have come in handy.
“All the security personnel have sufficient masks.”
She said enough kits have been made available for the officers for the proper execution of the task to ensure that Ghanaians do not unnecessarily come out during the lockdown.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo declared the lockdown by the powers given him under the Imposition of Restrictions Law, 2020 (Act 1012).
The 14-day partial lockdown, which started on Monday, March 30, is aimed at stemming the spread of the deadly coronavirus disease.
It was imposed on four major cities – Accra, Kumasi, Tema and Kasoa.
So far, the security officers say Ghanaians have largely complied with the directive despite pockets of disobedience.
“To those who have complied we want to say ‘Thank You’,” SP Abeyie-Buckman said, calling on all others to respect the lockdown as it is in their own interests.
On issues to do with brutalities as captured by videos that are making rounds on social media, SP Abeyie-Buckman said officers found guilty have been immediately withdrawn from the Operation.
She said the police in collaboration with the other security agencies are focused on ensuring that the lockdown is observed and punitive action will be taken against the offending officers after the Operation.
But she rejected the authenticity of some of the videos, saying they are not related to the current Operation.
The Director of Public Affairs of the Service says some of the incidents have served as a learning curve.
By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana