A 15-year-old coronavirus patient has escaped from an isolation centre in the Upper West Region of Ghana after being granted permission to go out.
The incident occurred Thursday, May 14.
Explaining how it happened in an interview with Alfred Ocansey on the Sunrise morning show on 3FM Friday, May 15, the Acting Regional Health Director, Dr Damien Pungayire, said the boy asked permission to go out and was allowed.
But he has not returned since then, reports say.
When Dr Pungayire was questioned about the gravity of the situation, he withdrew his comment and said: “It was an error that I said he asked permission to go out”.
He, however, said efforts are being made to find the patient on the run.
He assured that security is being beefed up at the quarantine and isolation centres to ensure that this incident does not recur.
The number of Covid-19 cases in Ghana has risen to 5,530, the Ghana Health Service has reported.
The number of recoveries stand at 674 with 24 so far dead.
The Upper West Region has so far recorded 21 cases.
By Laud Ayensu|3news.com|Ghana