Young Boxer Samuel Takyi claimed the biggest award at the 46th edition of the prestigious Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) Awards as he was crowned Sports Personality of the Year.
Takyi looked excited when he was announced as winner of the top award ahead of men’s 4X100m relay team and Hearts of Oak’s Daniel Afriyie Barnieh.
Earlier, he picked up the award for the Boxer of the Year (Amateur). Takyi, 20, won bronze in the men’s featherweight at Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games – Ghana’s first medal at the global sporting event since 1992.
And the first Olympic boxing medal since middleweight Prince Amartey who took the bronze in Munch 1972.
Takyi’s trainer at the games, Ofori Asare adjudged the National Team Coach of the Year award.
Striker Barnieh missed out on the biggest prize but took received the Home-based Footballer of the Year award.
Hasaacas Ladies captain Janet Egyir was adjudged Female Footballer of the Year after her role in the club winning five trophies and reaching the final of the maiden CAF Women’s Champions League.
The man who masterminded the incredible achievements of Hasaacas Ladies, Yussif Basigi was adjudged Club Coach of the Year.
Saddick Adams became the maiden winner of the SWAG Sports Journalist of the Year award.
A total of 19 awards were presented at the Accra International Conference Center on Friday night.
Vice President Dr Mahamadu Bawumia, who supported the awards with 50,000 Ghana cedis, and Ga Mantse who doubles as President of the Ga Traditional Council, His Royal Majesty Nii Tackie Teiko Tsuru II graced the occasion.
See the full list of winners below
- Samuel Takyi – Sports Personality of the Year
- Samuel Takyi – Amateur Boxer of the Year
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh – Home-based Footballer of the year
- Janet Egyir – Female Footballer of the Year.
- Hasaacas Ladies – Team of the year
- Fatawu Issahaku – Discovery of the Year
- Alfred Lamptey – Professional Boxer of the year
- Kelvin Alphous (Male) &Prospera Nantuo (Female) – Badminton Players of the Year
- Philip Selikem Yao Amoako – Chess Player of the Year
- Emmanuel Commey – Table Tennis player of the year
- Naa Shika McCorley – Tennis player of the year (female)
- Samuel Agbesi Antwi – Tennis player of the year (male)
- United Takyi – Swimming Athlete of the Year
- Mr. George Okoe Lamptey – Administrator of the year award.
- Ofori Asare – National Team Coach of the Year
- Yussif Basigi – Club Coach of the Year
- Benjamin Azamati – Athlete of the year (Male)
- Deborah Acquah – Athlete Of The Year (Female)
- Saddick Adams – Sports Journalist of the Year