Audio of this story
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has placed a phone call to his Nigerian counterpart, Muhammadu Buhari, over the demolition of a building on the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra.
Ghana’s leader called President Buhari on Tuesday and assured him of “full investigations into the incident”.
This was contained in a statement issued by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the Nigerian leader, on Tuesday.
The demolition of a building meant for staff of the Nigerian High Commission Friday night has generated controversy especially as it infringes on the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway, was at the site on Monday together with the National Security Minister, Albert Kan Dapaah, and the Inspector General of Police (IGP), James Oppong-Boanuh, to assess the situation.
The Foreign Affairs Minister duly apologised to the foreign mission and assured the staff that the perpetrators will be brought to book.
This has been followed up with a phone call by President Akufo-Addo, the statement by Garba Shehu said.
“In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident,” the statement indicated.
It also added that “some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court”.
This was confirmed on Wednesday in a statement issued by the Criminals Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service.
“The suspects involved in the act, have been charged with the offences of Conspiracy to Commit Crime to wit; Unlawful Entry and Causing Unlawful Damage contrary to sections 23(1), 152 and 172(1b) of the Criminal and Other Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29) and will be arraigned before Court.”
By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana