Referee handed 8-match ban over ‘wrong penalty’ against Hearts of Oak

Referee Eso Doh Morrison has been handed an 8-match ban by the Ghana Football Association for awarding Aduana Stars a ‘wrong penalty’ against Hearts of Oak.

The penalty helped Aduana Stars snatch a point as the Ghana Premier League matchday 3 encounter between the two sides ended in a 1-1 stalemate at the Accra Sports Stadium.

Hearts of Oak were leading thanks to an early goal by Kofi Kordzi when the referee awarded Aduana a penalty in the 78th minute and sent off defender Mohammed Alhassan.

But the GFA Match Review Panel, after watching the replay, stated that Morrison erred and has banned him from officiating as many as eight matches in the top-flight.

Below is full decision by the Match Review Panel;


  1. In the 23rd minute of the 1st half, Adam Farouk of Aduana FC brought down Daniel Afriyie Barnieh in the eighteen-yard box which referee Morrison failed to award a penalty to
    Hearts of Oak.
  2. Again Adam Farouk broke down a goal scoring attack by bringing down Kofi Kordzi in the 73rd minute of the 2nd half.
  3. Mohammed Alhassan was sent off by referee Morrison without committing foul. Bright Adjei of Aduana FC missed his step and fell in the 78th minute.
  4. The Match Commissioner (Charles Darkwah) sat in the presidential box at the stadium disfranchising Hearts of Oak from channeling their concerns to him.
READ ALSO:  Asante Kotoko file complaint on Super Clash officiating

Per the video watched, the 23rd minute complaint did not show any clear contact of the two players
involved in the tackle.
In the 63rd minute, there was a clear contact in the tackle between player of Heart No. 9 and Aduana player No. 24, but the referee rather judged it as a fair tackle instead of a foul. The referee

In the 78th minute incident, player No. 15 of Hearts of Oak and player number 10 of Aduana were involved in contesting for the ball in the penalty area of Hearts of Oak. The referee awarded a penalty and a red card against the Hearts player number 15. This in our view was a wrong decision taken by the referee.


In talking to the referee, he tried to defend every action and decision he took during the match even when all the actions were replayed to him in the video clips.

The referee (Eso Doh Morrison) is hereby suspended for eight (8) matchdays effective from the date of communication for the multiple errors committed during the match.