Kojo Oppong Nkrumah,[/caption]
The government has dismissed media reports that some Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) had been ordered by the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, to proceed on compulsory retirement for being “overaged”.
It had emerged Friday, January 25, that the Director General of the Ghana Maritime Authority and seven other chief executives of public institutions had been directed by the President to proceed on compulsory retirement because they are all above the age of 60.
But addressing the media, Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah advised the public and the institutions whose names have been mentioned in the purported list to disregard the report.
“Government advises the general public and in particular institutional stakeholders to disregard the list of CEOs circulating as having been sacked on the account of their age,” he said
He explained that “engagement between government and state-owned enterprises are routine”.
While reiterating that it’s in the president’s power to appoint and fire people occupying those positions, he noted that has to follow a laid-down procedure.
He said the appropriate announcements will be done as and when the need be.