Police in Takoradi fail to bring kidnapping suspect to court

Samuel Wills leaving the court premises on January 9.

Police prosecutors on Monday morning failed to produce in court, the alleged Takoradi serial kidnapper being tried for escaping from police cell.

Samuel Wills, who is on police remand, was expected to appear before the Takoradi Market Circle District Court this morning but police prosecutors arrived at the court premises without the accused person who faces kidnapping charges.

One of the prosecutors, Bernard Ahinsan, told our correspondent Eric Adjei that the accused person was sent to Accra after the last court adjourn date and that he was yet to be brought back to Takoradi where he is already being tried.

“We have been told the suspect is in Accra and now being brought to court,” he told our correspondent but  added “we don’t know when the suspect will arrive in Sekondi – Takoradi therefore there could be a delay”.

Wills was on January 9 arraigned on a charge of escaping from lawful custody, resisting arrest and causing damage to police property. Hearing of the case was done two weeks ago .

Three prosecution witnesses- all police officers- gave evidence on Wills’ escape from Police cells where he was being held for investigations into the alleged kidnapping of three ladies in the Sekondi/ Takoradi metropolis.

The Police in the Western Region decided to try the suspect first on the escape charges.

Meanwhile, relatives of the three kidnapped girls who are yet to be rescued were left disappointed for the nonappearance of the accused person in court Monday.

Sister to Richlove Quayson who was kidnapped in December 2018, Nana Adjoa expressed disappointment in the turn of events.

“We were expecting to make some headway today but look at what has happened” she said.

He said while the police are investigating the case with the hope of rescuing their victims, “we have also been fasting and praying for God’s intervention. Only yesterday we finished a 14 day fasting and prayer program, she said”.

The Gender, Children and Social Protection Minister Cynthia Morrison on Sunday visited the families of the three kidnapped girls to commiserate with them.

She assured them that “government is doing everything possible to rescue the kidnapped girls”.

According to her, the suspect “has started talking and has said the girls are alive”.


Facebook Comments

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *