Two suspects have been picked up by the Ghana Police over the death of an American citizen in his hotel room in Accra.
The death occurred at the Rayporsh Hotel at Abelemkpe in Accra, on December 14, 2021.
“So far, two people (names withheld) are currently in custody helping police investigations,” a statement signed by ACP Kwesi Ofori, director-general of Public Affairs said on Friday December 31.
“We await the full autopsy report, including toxicology and histopathology examinations,” the statement added.
Below is the full statement…
- The Ghana Police Service, had a meeting, via zoom today, Friday, December 31, 2021, with the family of US national, Julie Diane Williams who was found dead at Rayporsh Hotel at Abelemkpe, a suburb of Accra, on December 14, 2021. The family was officially informed of the investigations being conducted into the circumstances leading to her death.
- In line with international best practice, after informing the family of the current state of the investigations, we are now in a position to make public certain details about the case without compromising the ongoing investigations.
- Preliminary Police investigation has established that the deceased US national arrived in Ghana on December 3, 2021, en route from Nigeria. Having tested positive for COVID-19 on arrival, she was taken into an isolation centre at Ave Maria Hotel, South Legon.
- Further investigation revealed that on December 6, 2021, the deceased was picked up by some alleged friends from the isolation centre and taken to Zoko Lounge at Airport residential area where she had lunch and was then taken to the Rayporsh hotel at Abelemkpe.
- Records available at the Rayporsh Hotel indicate that the deceased checked out from the hotel on Sunday, December 12, 2021, at noon intending to travel back to Nigeria but could not proceed because of visa issues. She returned to the hotel the same day at 2:00 pm and checked in again.
- On December 14, 2021, Police received a complaint from two of the staff of the hotel to the effect that the said Julie Diane Williams was found unconscious in her room at the hotel. A Police team proceeded to the hotel and after the necessary protocols, took her to the Police Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
- On December 29, 2021, a post mortem examination was conducted on the deceased, Julie Diane Williams, at the Police Hospital mortuary in the presence of the Police and Godwin King Akpalu, a representative of the deceased’s family who identified the body to the pathologist. We await the full autopsy report, including toxicology and histopathology examinations.
- Officials from the United States Embassy have been informed and they have been helpful to the Police in our investigations.
- So far, two people (names withheld) are currently in custody helping Police investigations.
- We are assuring the general public, the relatives of the deceased and officials of the US Embassy that Police investigations into the death will be careful and thorough.
By Laud Nartey|3news.com|Ghana