Old Tafo violence: Peace Council seeks release of 'offenders' as curfew is relaxed

The National Peace Council has requested the Police in the Ashanti Region to as a matter of urgency, release persons arrested during Wednesday’s violence at Kumasi Old Tafo.

The Council argues the release of the about 40 people would ensure peace in the community noting that their continuous detention would not help in the peace being brokered in the area.

About 40 people were arrested after the bloody clash between traditional authorities and some Muslim youth in the area over a piece of land
The Ashanti Regional Chairman of the National Peace Council, Professor Seth Opuni Asiamah in an interview with Onua 95.1fm that at a stakeholders on the issue, “we observed that everyone wants calm. Everyone wants peace, so we believe the talks will settle the confusion”.

He added: “We spoke to the youth, Muslims, traditional authorities and all have good will in them to ensure there is peace so we shall monitor the situation until Monday”.

Meanwhile, the Ashanti Regional Security Council has relaxed the curfew hours imposed on the people of Kumasi Old Tafo after the clash that left one person dead and several others injured.

The curfew 6:00pm to 6:00am curfew has been reviewed to 8:00pm to 4:00am effective Friday, a statement released by the Council stated.

This decision, according the Council, follows an improvement in the security situation the area. It has meanwhile asked all residents to “adhere strictly” to the new curfew hours.

The construction of a fence around a parcel of land at the Old Tafo cemetery by the Mulsim community triggered violent clash after some loyalist of the Traditional Council allegedly pulled down the fence.

READ ALSO:  I'm not competent to talk about merits of military deal- Peace Council Chair

Several cars and properties were destroyed in the clash which was curtailed by an intervention by both a joint Police and Military team. A curfew was subsequently imposed on the residents to maintain law and order in the area.

Ten people who broke the curfew hours Thursday night were arrested by the joint security team. They were picked up few hours after 6:00p.m Thursday at the Old Tafo Zongo, near the Methodist Church which was vandalised in the Wednesday clash.

source: 3news.com