Education

NSS holds workshop to tackle youth unemployment in Ghana

The National Service Secretariat has organized a youth entrepreneurship, innovation and technology workshop to tackle the high unemployment rate.

Speakers from the MIT-Ghana Regional Entrepreneurs Accelerated Programme (REAP), Africa Harvard Study Group and scientists from The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and Harvard University encouraged teeming youth to venture into entrepreneurship.

They included Emmanuel Agyeampong Director of the Center for African Studies at Harvard University, Ed Lazowska, and Member of the National Academy of Engineering and a fellow of American Academy of Arts and Science among others.

The workshop which was organized in collaboration with Dalex Finance forms part of Africa vision 2025 which is aimed at producing entrepreneurs and innovators on the African continent.

Speaking at the workshop,  Ag. Executive Director of the National Service Scheme, Mustapha Ussif urged Ghanaians to consider entrepreneurship as a better option of securing themselves job and a livelihood.

Mustapha Ussif

“The youth of Ghana and Africa represent our greatest resource, our greatest potential for solving our greatest development challenges and therefore delivering our future success. Therefore, a high unemployment rate is a national security threat.” he said

He added that, “Research by Ghana Statistical Service reported in 2015, only 10% of personnel posted over the past years are able to secure jobs within the first year after service and the remaining 90% manage to secure job within 10 years after service.”

This, he said has been his headache, hence the collaboration with MIT-Ghana, REAP, other relevant agencies to end this cycle after each service year.

According to the Executive Director, the Scheme will be introducing an Entrepreneurship & Innovation Deployment Model in 2018.

The model is structured to assist selected graduates with business ideas to create jobs through entrepreneurship and innovation.

He also emphasized the President’s vision to support the private sector especially young entrepreneurs to grow.

“Those who set up businesses must succeed for them to create wealth and employ more people. This is the surest way to turn our beloved country’s fortunes around and the Scheme owns the country responsibilities by creating opportunities for the youth to enable them create wealth for themselves and employ their colleagues.”

He said the approach will go a long way to reduce the high unemployment among the youth.

Source: 3news.com

 

Facebook Comments

Related Articles