Even before the Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection, Mrs. Cynthia Mamle Morrison could confirm her intention to seek reelection as the MP for Agona West, a number of groups have come together to sponsor her re-election bid.
The groups that include polling station executives of the governing New Patriotic Party in the Agona West, YEA Community Police, Youth in Forestry, Serial Callers and School Feeding caterers paid for her nomination forms for the NPP primaries with a banker’s draft.
The group announced this at a colourful event at Agona Swedru where Mrs. Cynthia Morrison with her family and friends gathered to celebrate her 56th birthday on Saturday January 18, 2020.
Speaker after speaker showered praises on the Member of Parliament for the area for her hard work which they said is evident in visible development both in infrastructural and human capital that she has brought to her constituents in the last three years.
Madam Comfort Afadzie, a caterer who doubles as the Chairperson for Anglican Church polling station in Swedru, Kwame Nsaka a polling station executive at Yalewa Zongo in Swedru, Opanyin Kwame Boateng, and Adjoa Quansemah of Agona Abodom took turns to enumerate her achievements which include:
- Provision of hospital beds and equipment to all heath centers and hospitals in Agona West,
- Ambulance for Swedru hospital.
- A market center for Manhodwe
- Community centers in Swedru, Adukrom, Nsuasa, etc
- Classrooms for Agona Nkum,
- Expansion of School Feeding for almost every basic school in Agona West
- Provisions of borehole water for 10 communities
- Renovation of Swedru market and Shelters at Mandela market,
- Continuation of Swedru roads and reconstruction of Arkora drainage and bridges
- Construction of a mosque at Swedru Yalewa Zongo
- Nyakrom township roads, Nyakrom Adukrom road, etc
- Jobs for over 600 people through YEA/Forestry, School Feeding and at Gender ministry
- Secured land for party office complex
- Provision of school desks and chairs for all Senior high schools in Agona West
- 8 modern toilet facilities at the various stages of completion in Swedru, Nyakrom, Kwaman, etc.
- Lobbied for Agona Abodom, Bobikuma roads
Almost teary, Mrs. Cynthia Morrison, who was responding to cheers from the gathering as they shout in excitement “4 more for Nana, 4 More for Cynthia Morrison” promised the party and the constituents that she will not renege on her resolve to bring total development to the area.
Recounting what she described as “unparalleled” achievements of the Akufo-Addo-led government, she said it was proper for the people of Agona West to vote massively for President Akufo-Addo in the December elections to further continue the good work to make the Ghana beyond aid agenda a reality.
Mrs. Cynthia Mamle Morrison secured 32,770 votes representing 58.03% of the total votes cast in the 2016 parliamentary election to beat the incumbent MP Charles Obeng-Inkoom of the NDC who managed 23,423 votes.
Meanwhile, some potential aspirants are waging a campaign against her as they claim she is not an indigene of Agona. One of the possible candidate Mr. Onomah Coleman who has been campaigning on the strength of being Agona indigene has been on the neck of the party people to vote against and chase the ‘strangers’ out of their land.
The New Patriotic Party opened nomination for presidential and parliamentary aspirants for areas with sitting MPs on January 20, 2020. Parliamentary aspirants on the other hand, will pay a non-refundable filing fee of GH¢20,000 and a GH¢2,000 application fee. Women, Youth and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) will enjoy a rebate of 50% on the filing fees, the party has announced.
Source: 3news.com | Ghana