Kasoa ritual murder: Verdict against teen killers postponed to June 24


An Accra High Court has deferred the verdict against two teenagers charged with conspiracy and murder of 10-year-old Ishmael Mensah Abdella at Kasoa.

Presiding judge, Justice Lydia Osei Marfo indicated that due to circumstances beyond the control of the court, the summing up of the case to the 7-member jury and subsequent judgement would have to be postponed.

Prior to the summation, both the defense and prosecution were expected to first address the jury with the final addresses.

The case has since been adjourned to June 24 for Defense and Prosecution lawyers to make their final addresses.

Reacting to the decision of the court, Spokesperson of the murdered victim’s family expressed disappointment at the development.

“As a family we’re disappointed that the case has taken another twist, but there’s nothing we can do. We just hope that the court will abide by their word and deliver the judgement on June 24.” Harrison Mensah told journalists.


The two accused persons have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy and murder.

While the 15-year-old juvenile (1st Accused) has admitted the offense and stated that they “committed the crime together,” the 18-year-old young offender (2nd Accused) has denied the charges.

Prosecution on March 29, 2021 noted in court that the accused persons consulted a ritualist for money rituals (Sakawa).

The ritualist, who claimed to be based in the Volta Region, requested GH¢5,000 and a human being to perform the rituals.

On April 3, 2021, the accused persons, according to the prosecution, decided to use the boy in furtherance of their “sakawa” mission.

Around 9:00am on the same day, the prosecutor said, the juvenile accused lured the boy into an uncompleted building where the second accused had laid ambush with the club of a pickaxe.

“As soon as the boy arrived, they told him to remove a video game from a sack they had deposited in a corner of the room.

“When the boy bent down in an attempt to remove the said video game from the sack, the second accused struck him at the back of his neck with the club, causing him to fall,” lead Prosecutor Nana Ama Osei narrated.

Sensing danger, the 10-year-old turned to look at the juvenile accused and pleaded with him not to kill him but forgive him, if he had offended him but his plea was ignored at which point his head was hit with a cement block in the building.

Prosecution further indicated that while unconscious after the attack, the accused persons, then used a spade and a shovel to dig a shallow grave in the room and buried the boy with the intention to convey him to the ritualist.