The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has called off its 23rd anniversary to join the rest of Ghanaians mourn the over 150 lives lost to the twin disaster last week.
The ruling party was scheduled to mark its anniversary on Wednesday, June 10.
But that day will mark the end of a 3-day national mourning with an open-air memorial service scheduled to be held near the disaster site of Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
Speaking to Accra-based Okay FM on Monday, Deputy General Secretary of the ruling party Koku Anyidoho said the party will shift all its planned programmes to 2016.
“We are mourning with families affected in the flood, fire [disasters],” he said. “We cannot celebrate while the country is in a state of mourning.”
The flood-cum-fire disaster on Wednesday, June 3 has left many still reeling and yet to come to terms with the loss.
The NDC government has made available GH¢50 million to support victims and bereaved families. TV3 Network has set up a support fund to help victims.