The Minister of Communications and Digitalisation Ursula Owusu-Ekuful has said that the Ministry has become aware of persons whose funds have been locked up on the Mobile Money (MoMo) accounts following the SIM card deactivation exercise.
She said efforts are underway to ensure that the subscribers are able to retrieve their cash.
Speaking in Parliament while providing an update on the status of the SIM re-registration exercise on Thursday, June 8 Madam Owusu-Ekuful said “We continue to encourage the National Identification Authority (NIA) to assist people to acquire their Ghana Card.
“We have also been made aware of the difficulties facing subscribers in accessing their funds on their mobile money wallets.
“These subscribers will not be able to transact money mobile-related activities, however, we are working with the Bank of Ghana to ensure that these subscribers are able to retrieve funds upon the presentation of a valid ID and going through the required processes.”
Earlier, Ningo Prampram Lawmaker Samuel Nartey George asked the Minister to as a matter of urgency brief the house on the ongoing SIM card deactivation.
Speaking on the floor of Parliament on Tuesday, June 6, he said people’s livelihoods had been affected by the exercise.
He said “We should have this briefing today if possible because we are talking about over 8 million SIM cards that have been disconnected including even the SIM card of Mr Speaker of Parliament himself. His official SIM card was disconnected even though it was registered in the name of the Parliament for Ghana.
“We have judges, lawyers, doctors, and MPs whose SIM cards were disconnected. Even my SIM card was disconnected.
“The Stubborn Academy is insisting the National Identification Authority must provide us, Ghana Card. It is important that the Minister briefs this house even if possible today because people’s livelihoods have been affected.”