The Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra has suspended all non-emergency surgeries and OPD services as management announces additional measures to stem the spread of deadly novel coronavirus outbreak in the country.
“All elective surgeries, have been suspended except Caesarean sections,” the hospital announced Tuesday, stating the measures take immediate effect.
All clinical rotations and attachments by all categories of students have also been suspended in the new precautionary measures as the confirmed cases of the virus recorded in the country rise to seven.
Clinical meetings and seminars have all also been cancelled until further notice.
A statement issued by the hospital said provision of emergency services at all the emergency operational areas of the hospital will however not be affected.
“[The] Accident and Emergency Centre, Family Medicine Directorate (Polyclinic) and the Paediatric Emergency Unit shall continue to offer emergency services,” the statement said.
It said the Labour Wards and Mother & Baby Unit (MBU) will also continue to offer normal services.
The hospital said the coronavirus situation “is constantly under evaluation”, and noted there will be modifications to the measures announced as and when it becomes necessary.
It encouraged the public efforts being made by government and all stakeholders to ensure the safety of all in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic which has triggered lockdowns in parts of the world.
The hospital has meanwhile advised the public against using the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital “as a thoroughfare”, warning they do so in their own interest.
Patient visits restrictions
Earlier last Friday, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital announced it was limiting visits to patients on admission at the facility on the back of the virus outbreak.
It said patients on admission can receive only two relatives as visitors, the hospital management announced in a statement a day after Ghana recorded its first cases.
“In the case of the Department of Child Health only parents/guardians of the patient are permitted to visit. This measure has become necessary because patients are already vulnerable and can therefore easily be infected,” it said.
Seven confirmed cases
The covid-19 pandemic which originated in China late last year has infected more than 182,400 people and killed over 7,100 globally.
Ghana has since March 12 confirmed seven cases of the virus with no fatalities. All cases were imported into the country.
Health officials say all the seven patients who have been quarantined, are in stable condition.
Contact tracing are currently ongoing and officials say they have so far traced a total 350 people as having had contact with six of the patients.
Government has announced what some believe to be bold measures, including travel restrictions and closure of all schools in the country as well as a ban of social gatherings to stem the spread of the virus.
Businesses and other workplaces however continue to operate, but have been directed to observe prescribed social distancing between patrons and staff.
Establishments, such as supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs, hotels and drinking spots, have also been advised by government to observe enhanced hygiene procedures by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands.
By Stephen Kwabena Effah|3news.com|Ghana