Korle Bu Maternity Block not on fire – PRO

The Head of Public Relations at Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Mustapha Salifu, has dismissed reports that the Maternity Block of the facility caught fire Tuesday night.

“What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restrooms of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9pm yesterday,” he explained in a statement on Wednesday, April 7.

“The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service(GNFS).”

The air conditioner that caught fire

Social media was awash with videos of the incident as babies were seen being evacuated in a hurried manner.

“Please, relax with my baby,” the voice of an obviously frustrated mother was heard in the background.

The statement explained that the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor as a precautionary measure.

“We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury.”

Mr Salifu said normal operations have resumed after an assessment by the Fire Service indicated that there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff.

“We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism,” he concluded.

By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana

READ ALSO:  ICGC Christ Temple’s support to Korle Bu Children’s Cancer Unit lifesaving – Dr. Renner