KNUST students start to vacate campus

Students of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), in Kumasi, are getting ready to leave campus for their various homes, following a shutdown of the school by the Ashanti Regional Security Council (REGSEC). The decision to shut down the school was necessitated by a violent demonstration carried out by some students, leading to the destruction of school property. Over 20 students were arrested after the incident. The students were protesting alleged brutalities meted out to their mates who were arrested at the University Hall last Friday and later granted bail. Armed military and police personnel took over the campus after the protest, ensuring “relative calm”.

Local NUGS President Yaw Boampong Adu Brempong, in an interview on Onua FM’s Yen Sempa hosted by Bright Kwasi Asempa said: “Calm has returned and we are preparing to leave by 12 noon today”. “We are packing our goods and we will all conform to the directives of the Regional Security Council,” he said on Tuesday. Master Adu Brempong explained, “the cause of the demonstration is not the conversion of the halls. It was the incessant brutalities of students by the internal security”. “Students have been brutalized. Last Friday, 11 of them sustained injuries from internal securities who are supposed to protect the students and we expected the university management to address that. Brutalities that are being meted to the students day-in and day-out is what we were protesting against”. The NUGS President, however, condemned the violence and destruction of properties.
READ ALSO:  Soften your stance on KNUST council reconstitution - Students tell gov't
Bail granted                                                Adu Brempong confirmed that those who were arrested during the protest have been granted bail. “The 20 people who were arrested have been released at about 8pm [Monday]. We put measures in place and they were granted bail”. By Kweku Antwi-Otoo | |Ghana  ]]>