EducationTop Story

KNUST closed down indefinitely

Some property belong to the school was vandalised in the demonstration

The Ashanti regional security council in consultation with management of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has closed down the university indefinitely.

The closure will take effect from tomorrow noon.

This follows Monday’s demonstration which turned violent.

A curfew has also been imposed on the campus from 6:00 PM Monday October 22 to 8:00am tomorrow October 23.

The Ashanti Regional minister, Simon Osei Mensah, disclosed this after touring the campus to assess the level of destruction by the rioting students.

According to him,  REGSEC together with management of the University will meet the interior ministry to bring a lasting solution to the vandalism before a date will be announced for the reopening of the university.

Some students of the university Monday embarked on a demonstration to protest the arrest and alleged manhandling of some students of the school who held a vigil, against the directive of the school authorities.

The demonstration eventually turned violent with the demonstrators invading the school’s administration and vandalizing property. Police and military men were deployed to contain the situation.

However, intelligence gathered REGSEC suggested that the unrest may continue on Tuesday, hence the decision to close the university down indefinitely.

By the directive, students are expected to vacate the campus premises by Tuesday noon.

Preparations are however being made to accommodate foreign students for a while before they are dispatched to their various countries.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education has called for calm in the school stating a delegation led by the sector minister will Tuesday, October 23 meet with the university authorities and the students over the issue.


Facebook Comments

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *