I’m a very peaceful person with unblemished record – Ofosu-Ampofo to Ghanaians

Mr. Ofosu-Ampofo with hands raised[/caption] Beleaguered chairman of the National Democratic Congress Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo has described himself as a man of peace, claiming his over 30 years political life has been characterised by unblemished record. “Your chairman, the NDC chairman is a man of peace. I’ve been in politics for the past 30 years. There is no iota or there is no record that any insults have ever preceded out of my mouth,” he told party supporters.

Mr. Ofosu-Ampofo whi is accused of making comments that threatens the security of Ghana is being investigated for what his lawyers described as probable charges of conspiracy to cause harm, threatening harm, rioting and assaulting public officer.

In a leaked audio tape, a voice purported to be that of Mr Ofosu-Ampofo was heard encouraging some NDC communicators to unleash attack on the EC chair, President Akufo-Addo and the chairman of the National Peace Council. He has since denied the content of the said leaked audiotape claiming it has been doctored but notwithstanding he was invited by the Police CID on Monday to assist in investigations into the case. After a marathon interrogation, he was arrested and cautioned on what his lawyers described as probable charges of conspiracy to cause harm, threatening harm, rioting and assaulting public officer. He was granted police bail in the sum of 400,000 cedis with two sureties, and asked to report again to the Police CID headquarters today, March 7. Speaking to hundreds of party supporters that gathered at the Police CID to demand his release after spending 10 hours at the place, Mr Ofosu-Ampofo said nothing will force him to accept the content of the tape because it has been doctored. “I want to assure all and sundry that we will not undermine the peace and stability of this country but we will not own [up] doctored messages. We still want to remain that whatever has been put out there in several forms or shapes are doctored to undermine the party. He said he has for his political life led the NDC and “we have always come out peacefully” in all their dealings, citing the recent decision to pull out of the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election after a shooting incident, as an example of how peaceful he is as a leader. “My decision in the recent by-election in Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election indicates that I’m a very peaceful person,” he said, and explained it was informed by his zeal to protect lives and properties. He has assured Ghanaians that he and the NDC “will continue to be law abiding” and “observe the rule of law” as they champion their quest to win the 2020 general election. “As your chairman, I will continue to work tirelessly and nothing, absolutely nothing, will prevent us from going ahead to win 2020 and form the next government,” he stated.
READ ALSO:  Owoo family will enter record books as Ghana’s biggest extended family - Ablakwa
Background The audiotape which leaked last Wednesday has since gone viral and received criticism with some describing the statements made as reckless. But the NDC issued a statement Last Thursday claiming the said audiotape was doctored and accused the government and national security operatives of bugging the party’s headquarters. The Police CID consequently invited Ofosu-Ampofo for questioning claiming the alleged comments has security implications. The party chair however failed to honour the invitation last Friday claiming he did not receive any formal communication from the Police. Reports emerged at last weekend that the Police was working to secure a warrant for the arrest of Ofosu-Ampofo but before that could be done, he reported himself last Monday. Marathon For 10 hours, Mr Ofosu-Ampofo and his legal team were camped at the Police CID headquarters. Officials of the Police CID were initially said to have engaged in feet-dragging as they gave excuses to delay the interrogation. NDC supporters who suspected what they claimed to be a deliberate ploy to detain their party chair, started gathering at the Police CID headquarters to push for his release. By 5:00pm, hundreds of supporters had thronged the place with a lot more still arriving, but the Police were on high alert to quell any untoward act by the crowd.  By Stephen Kwabena Effah|3news.com|Ghana]]>