The Media General Group will later today empanel health experts for a roundtable on Ghana’s surveillance, containment and treatment of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Ghana has so far recorded 24 cases with 1 death, but health experts have warned the coming days will be dire for the country as the number of cases and fatalities in the country and across the globe keep rising.
Even though the country has adopted a number of measures, including border closures, shutting down of schools, and ban on public gathering, to mitigate the spread of the virus, some experts believe more needs to be done.
In this regard, Media General, following from its successful national dialogue on the global scourge of coronavirus in February, will host experts drawn from the various sectors for a roundtable.
The theme for the discussion will be: “Effective Strategies for the Surveillance, Containment and Treatment of the COVID-19 outbreak in Ghana”.
The panel will include:
- William Kwabena Ampofo (Head of the Virology Department, Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, University of Ghana)
- Ishmael Norman(President, Institute for Security, Disaster and Emergency Studies)
- Badu Sarkodie (Director of Public Healthat Ghana Health Service)
- Victor Bampoe (Former Deputy Minister of Health, and Coordinator of Global Financing & Technical Support of UN-AIDS)
- Fred Newton Binka (Professor of Epidemiology at the School of Public Health, University of Ghana)
- Alexander Dodoo (Clinical Pharmacologist, Director of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Advocacy and Training at the University of Ghana, and Director-General of Ghana Standards Authority)
The Media General Group is a conglomerate of media institutions comprising TV3, ONUA TV, 3FM 92.7, ONUA FM 95.1, AKOMA FM 87.9 (Kumasi), CONNECT FM 97.1 (Takoradi), ONUA TV, APL and 3NEWS.COM.
The discussion will be telecast live on TV3 and all affiliate stations at 1:00pm.