Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta, has “conditionally” approved a multi-year funding commitment of GH¢1,560,551,812.33 for commencement of fourteen (14) road projects over the medium term.
A statement issued by the Public Relations Unit of the Finance Ministry said the decision was taken on Friday June 28.
The approval of these projects will see reconstruction, rehabilitation and upgrading of road networks spanning 381.3 kilometres across Ashanti, Brong Ahafo, Eastern and Northern Regions of Ghana.
The approval of the funding commitment for the 14 projects is subject to section 33(1) of Ghana’s Public Financial Management (PFM) Act, (Act 921), which requires a yearly breakdown of each project as well as detailed information on all on-going road projects, the statement said, adding that the PFM Act 921 also requires a complete assessment of all projects for efficiency and impacts.
“The multi-year commitment for the Ministry of Roads and Highways will be funded through the medium term budgetary allocation, covering the period between 2019 and 2023. And according to the Office of Minister for Finance, the concerned Ministry is expected ‘to provide required information, as stipulated by the PFM act, by 15 July, 2019’.”
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Finance has also requested the Ministry of Roads and Highways to submit all projects’ contracts for inclusion in the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework.
The projects include:
- Reconstruction of the Osiem-Begoro road – 24.80km
- Reconstruction of Kwabeng-Abomosu-Asuom road – 41.40km
- Upgrading of Anwiankwanta-Obuasi road – 30km
- Upgrading of Mampong Kofiase road – 14km
- Reconstruction of Kwabeng Akropong road & Akropong town roads – 23.3km
- Upgrading of Nsuta – Beposo road – 7km
- Upgrading of Salaga – Bimbilla road – 71km
- Upgrading of Kwadaso – Trabuom road – 30km
- Rehabilitation of Adankrono – Kade – New Abrrem road (Lot 1) 21km
- Rehabilitation of Adankrono – Kade – New Abrrem road (Lot 2) 22.4km
- Upgrading of Atronie – Mim road 17km
- Reconstruction of Asuom – Subi – Kade road – 22km
- Reconstruction of Akropong – Pramkese – Adankrono road – 27.2km
- Upgrading of Odumasi – Adenta – Badu road – 30.2km.