Fire guts slum at Central Business District in Accra

A ferocious inferno Tuesday night razed hundreds of structures at a slum near Kantamanto called, Abuja slam, in Accra.

The slum situated around the Central Business District (CDB) of Accra has experienced several other fire outbreaks. Last nights fire is believed to have claimed the life of an eight month old baby boy whom residents say was left in one of the structures by his parents.

Some of the residents who spoke to said the fire may have started as a result of a naked candle left in one of the structures. It took fire officers several hours to quench the flame due to the haphazard nature of the structures.

As of 5:30am when TV3 news crew went back the site of the inferno, Fire officers from the Ghana National Fire Service were still struggling to completely douse the fire. Spots of smoke were still seen in the area with most of the resident wailing and now counting their cost.

Other areas affected by the fire included the Kantamanto Market which is an enclave for second-hand cloth dealers. A substantial portion of the market was also affected. 

Acting Public Relations Manager of the Ghana National Fire Service, Billy Anaglate in an interview with indicated that unplanned nature of the area was clearly a factor in the quick spread of the fire adding that settlers there need to be evacuated to prevent  a recurrence.

By Martin Asiedu-Dartey||Ghana


READ ALSO:  Workers of Tema Shipyard demand CEO's dismissal