A raging fire has swept through nine vehicles, consuming seven of them in a mechanic shop near the old American Embassy at Osu in Accra.
Two of the vehicles, a V8 and V6, had their bonnets and engine area burnt in the Sunday afternoon fire that rapidly spread to an adjoining residential building. Three rooms and their washrooms were all burnt, Moses Dickson reported a while ago.
“The cars are quite new,” he said, adding a motorbike in the affected residential building has also been consumed by the fire that started around midday.
No one has been injured.
Personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service were said to have arrived at the scene some 15 minutes after the fire started and took them close to 40 minutes to totally extinguish the inferno that caused panic among residents close by.
Our reporter said alarm was raised for people living in houses close by to evacuate as the fire spread to the affected building.
The cause of the fire is not immediately known, Dickson said, but suspected to have been caused by some electrical connection.