ECG debtors expected to pay their debts within four-month period – Mg’t

The management of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) has announced that all debtors have within four months to pay their debts.

The ECG Tema Regional Public Relations Officer, Sakyiwaa Mensah explained on the New Day show on TV3 with Johnnie Hughes on Friday August 12 that debtors are required to 70 per cent of the total money in the first of the four-month period. The remaining 30 per cent is spread across the remaining three months.

She said these while contributing to a discussion on the debt owed by residents of Manya and Yilo Krobo in the Eastern Region of Ghana.

The Managing Director of the ECG, Samuel Dubik Mahama earlier revealed that the total outstanding debt owed by residents is ¢168million.

He urged the community members to calm down and find ways to settle this debt after describing the situation as sad.

“ECG buys the power from independent power producers and sells the power. The total outstanding debt in Yilo Krobo and Manya Krobo is totaling ¢168million. So it is safe to say that you and I are paying for that.

“It is very sad what is going on and they are a community, all they have to do is to come together and let us find a lasting solution today,” he told TV3’s Alfred Ocansey in interview on the Ghana Tonight show Wednesday August 10.

ECG cut power supply to the areas following destruction of its properties and also physical attacks on its staff. The situation led to some unidentified persons to destroy Electric Power pole at Okwenya in the Yilo Krobo Municipality.

READ ALSO:  Mines and Energy committee to hold a stakeholder meeting over Tamale power thefts

The Assembly Man for the Okwenya electoral area Seth Tetteh, who confirmed the incident said “Our community was not affected by the cut off by the ECG in the two Krobo Municipalities; Lower Manya and Yilo Krobo Municipalities, even though we are part of Yilo Krobo.

“[But] we experienced light out around 11:30pm Thursday night ,we felt it was a usual light off. Only to wake up to find one electric power pole cut down, with a chain saw guess.”

Mr Tetteh further explained that officials from the ECG and the Military were at the Okwenya community to asses the Power pole.

“The ECG manager and some Military personnel came to check the Power pole, they promised us that the Police will be in our community. We pray they come to fix the pole for us,” he said.

The damaged electric pole was part of a host of Power poles that connect electricity from Akuse to Aseseaso and help in pumping water to the Water Station at AKorley.

ECG Boss Mr Mahama further said the damaged poles have been restored.

He said “Electric pole was cut down. The truth of the matter is that electricity is a grid, it is a loop, so you don’t think that because you have seen a straight line, that is the line that goes to other side and it doesn’t go to the other side.

“The line was cut down and group of military men and my staff went there and they have replaced that line. Conversations are still ongoing for us all to do the right thing and to restore power to the area.”

READ ALSO:  Focus on how Ghana will benefit from Akufo-Addo’s presidency – Oppong Nkrumah to MPs

By Laud Nartey|3news.com|Ghana