Dozens of shops razed in a fire outbreak at Nkawkaw-Adoagyiri

At least 10 shops have been razed by a Thursday dawn fire that swept through some a number of shops along a street in Nkawkaw-Adoagyiri in the Eastern Region, destroying properties and goods worth thousands of cedis.

Dozens of refrigerators, textiles, crates of eggs, jewelry, bicycles, wood and machinery were destroyed in the fire that started at about 4:30AM, our correspondent, Yvonne Neequaye reports.


The fire , which started from a mini saw, is said to have been caused by the burning of disposed toilet tissues and rubbish by residents close to the sawmill. Eyewitnesses say the sawdust from the mill caught the fire and extended to the other shops close by.

Owner of the sawmill, Kwasi Bamfo told who was sleeping in the shop at the time of the fire outbreak told TV3 that residents in the area have for some time now, turned the back of his shop into rubbish burning site.


“I was asleep when someone called me that Bra Bamfo your shop is burning. I moved out of the room only to realise it was true. So I entered houses around to get water to extinguish the fire. I did what I could but still everything got burnt.


He said he has lost about 500 wood as well as his machinery.

Source: By Stephen Kwabena Effah

READ ALSO:  N/R: Man killed in dawn fire