Many boxes of condoms were found burnt after personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service brought down a fire outbreak that caught a popular prostitution joint in Tarkwa in the Western Region.
DO2 Alex Assiem, Tarkwa Divisional Fire Commander told stand-in host Wofa Ato on Connect FM’s Omanbapa morning show that they received a distress call, indicating there was a fire outbreak at the Tarkwa Railway Station, a place popularly known for prostitution.
According to him, they were able to bring the fire under control but properties worth thousands of Ghana cedis had already been burnt.
He adds that over thirty structures were affected.
“We had a call that there was an outbreak at the Tarkwa Railway Station. We were able to bring the fire under control shortly after arriving at the scene. Where the fire broke out is a place known for prostitution. About 35 structures belonging to one landlord who has rented them out to the prostitutes have all been razed down. They have lost almost all their properties including furniture, electrical appliances, and many others.
“We also saw a lot of condoms slightly burnt. But we were able to prevent the fire from spreading to adjourning structures,” he indicated.
He was unable to indicate the cause of the fire but he indicated that some of the prostitutes have been smoking in the structures.
“Some of them smoke in their structures, others use water heaters, and many others. So we suspect some of the water heaters were left unattended and that could have caused the fire. We have organized a series of fire education in that area because of frequent fire outbreaks,” he added.
According to him, fire outbreaks are rampant in the Tarkwa Nsuaem Municipality.
“Fire outbreak is very rampant in Tarkwa. Just last year, we attended to over 47 fire outbreaks. The first three months of 2023 has already recorded about 13 outbreaks,” he stated.
By Eric Nana Gyetuah|Connect FM|3news.com|Ghana