Hundreds of rescuers are combing wreckage in Southern California for those missing after mudslides that have killed 17.Another 28 injuries have been reported in Santa Barbara County following the deluge that overwhelmed an area scorched by wildfires last month. More than 100 homes were destroyed, and another 300 have been damaged. One rescue worker tearfully described plucking a “muddy doll” of a toddler from under several feet of debris. Berkeley Johnson said the two-year-old girl was taken to hospital and suffered an injury to her hip. [caption id="" align="alignnone" width="720"] Residents of Montecito went back to their homes to salvage pets and belongings[/caption] “I don’t know how the baby survived,” Mr Berkeley told the Santa Barbara Independent newspaper. He said of his own home in the community of Montecito: “This was an hour of rain, and the house was gone.” Mr Johnson said he and his wife, Karen, heard a baby crying after the flooding had subsided and they managed to climb down from the roof of their swamped home. The pair joined a fireman to dig the toddler out, scooping mud from her mouth before she was taken to hospital. “Had we not gone over there, I don’t think that kid would have [survived],” he added. Police say 17 people remain missing. The death toll rose on Wednesday afternoon after two more bodies were found. More than 50 people have been rescued already but many places were still inaccessible. Several roads were closed, including the major Highway 101 which authorities say will not be reopened until Monday. “We are still very much in active search-and-rescue mode,” said Chris Elms, a spokesman for Cal Fire, warning that the death toll may still rise. “That’s a fear. We are still very hopeful that we will locate people alive,” he added. Santa Barbara County spokesman Amber Anderson said: “We have no idea where they’re at. We think somewhere in the debris field.” The upmarket neighbourhood of Montecito is home to celebrities such as actor Rob Lowe, chat show host Ellen DeGeneres and media mogul Oprah Winfrey. On Instagram, Ms Winfrey said her property had escaped the worst as she toured the scene, but described the house next door as “devastated”. says the risk of flooding stays “significantly higher” for up to five years after a wildfire. “Recent burn areas will be especially vulnerable where dangerous mud and debris flows are possible,” said the National Weather Service in a statement. In some places mud was waist-deep, officials said. Thousands had to leave their homes, many for the second time in two months. The emergency services declared an exclusion zone, saying anyone moving around the area would be in the way of rescuers and would be subject to arrest. Those who have stayed in the area have been warned to boil their tap water before drinking it. Heavy rain run-off caused a mudflow in Montecito, where some homes were knocked off their foundations, said Santa Barbara County Fire Department spokesman Mike Eliason. County Fire Captain Dave Zaniboni said five people were found dead on Tuesday in Montecito, possibly as a result of the storm.