Alleged kidnapper who escaped from cell tried without a lawyer

Samuel Wills leaving the court premises on January 9.[/caption] A Magistrate Court in Takoradi is expected to deliver judgment in the case in which an alleged serial killer escaped from Police custody on January 28. Police prosecutors Wednesday assembled three police officers, including the one who was on duty when the accused person escaped, to adduce evidence against Samuel Wills who appeared in court without a lawyer. Wills who escaped from the Takoradi Central Police Station cell on December 30 while awaiting prosecution for alleged kidnapping, did not have opportunity to cross-examine the three police officers who served as prosecution witness in the escape case.

He was on January 9 arraigned on a charge of escaping from lawful custody after his re-arrest but the court remanded him into Police custody to assist in investigations into the kidnapping case. The accused person currently has a kidnapping case to answer. The court is expected to begin trying that case after it has determined the escape case. When the case resumed Wednesday, police prosecutors informed the court presided over by Michael Kojo Ampadu that they were ready to begin trial though the accused person did not have a lawyer. Investigator in the case, Detective Inspector Charles Austin Adjei, who was the last prosecution witness, read the caution statement of wills in an open court. According to the investigator, the accused claimed in the statement that he was aided by one Kwesi who is his friend, to escape from the cell. “On 26th December, I saw a passerby at the back of the cells and pleaded with him to call my friend, Kwesi for me’ he narrated,” the investigator read. Per Wills’ statement, Kwesi came to the police station and gave him two hacksaw blades on December 29, 2018 with lubricant which he used to cut three of the metal bars of the ventilation window and escaped through it the next day around 6:00pm. The investigator however failed to tell the court what his investigation revealed, particularly how the said Kwesi managed visit the accused person in cell and give him two hacksaw blades without the officers on duty notifying. Meanwhile, the court has adjourned the case to January 28.
READ ALSO:  [Video] KNUST graduate manufactures incubator
By Nhyiraba Paa Kwesi Simpson||Ghana]]>