The Communications Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Sammy Gyamfi, has accused the Akufo-Addo-led government of directly complicit in the conundrum customers of Menzgold Ghana Limited have been plunged into.
The aggrieved customers have demonstrated across the country, asking government to ensure that the gold-dealership firm reimburses their cash values to them.
Extra values on their gold deposits have ceased since the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) ordered the immediate shutdown of the company.
What had aggravated customers was the deafening silence of Menzgold’s Chief Executive Officer, Nana Appiah Mensah, popularly known as NAM1, since the issues got to a head.
Exactly a week ago, the courts in the name of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo ordered the arrest of NAM1 and all other directors of the company.
International Police (INTERPOL) was put on red alert but police in Dubai later informed their Ghanaian counterparts that Mr Mensah had been in their custody since Friday, December 7, 2018.
But the NDC has taken all accounts of state agencies with a pinch of salt.
“So far, various accounts of state actors have been inconsistent, contradictory and cannot pass the political truth test,” Mr Gyamfi said while addressing journalists on Wednesday.
He said government cannot feign ignorance of issues surrounding the saga.
“We are particularly disgusted and appalled by government’s posturing towards the plight of Ghanaians who have lost several million of Cedis through this scandal.”
According to him, the stance of the government has been “very irresponsible, insensitive, atrocious, and unconscionable”.
He did not mince words in accusing the president of complicity in the issue.
“The Akufo-Addo government is complicit in this matter. Therefore, government cannot feign ignorance of events which have led us to where we are today.”