Ahmed Suale’s death "stalled" Nyantakyi’s prosecution – Attorney General

Kwesi Nyantakyi[/caption] The determination of the Attorney General’s Department to prosecute former GFA boss, Kwesi Nyantakyi, for fraud was “stalled” by the death of investigative journalist, Ahmed Suale, Attorney General Gloria Akuffo has revealed. Mr. Nyantakyi was captured in a documentary by ace investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas attempting to use the name of President Akufo-Addo, the vice president and names of other state officials to induce potential investors to part with various sums of money. Having watched the documentary, President Akufo-Addo in May 2018 directed the Criminal Investigations Department of the Ghana Police Service to arrest the then president of the Ghana Football Association, Kwesi Nyantakyi, for defrauding by false pretense. Read: Prez Akufo-Addo orders the arrest of GFA Boss, Kwesi Nyantakyi Mr. Nyantakyi has since been banned by world football governing body, FIFA, for life from all football related activities. But over one year, nothing was heard about the outcome of the investigations as directed by the president of Ghana. Meanwhile, the Attorney General, Madam Gloria Akuffo suggested to Parliament on Thursday that but for the death of Ahmed Suale who played a leading role in the documentary, the case would have been in court. Mohammed Abdul-Aziz, Member of Parliament for Mion, had asked the Attorney General the status of the complaint made by President Akufo-Addo against Kwesi Nyantakyi. “Unfortunately, Mohammed Suale, a member of Tiger Eye and a principal witness with whom the prosecutors directly engaged in the preparation of the case was tragically killed on 16th May, 2019. “The death of the journalist unavoidably stalled the preparation of the case,” Madam Akuffo responded. She early on told the house that her office received a duplicate docket from the Headquarters of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service on a case entitled, The Republic versus Kwesi Nyantakyi on November 2, 2018. “The letter indicated that suspect Kwesi Nyantakyi, a former president of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) had been secretly recorded by undercover private investigator, Tiger Eye P.I. (Tiger Eye) engaged in corrupt conduct.” She said after an initial review of the docket by a team of prosecutors, the police were requested on 10th January, 2019 to furnish the Attorney General’s office with some further documents to facilitate the completion of the review. Additionally, in March 2019, he said, Tiger Eye was requested to furnish the team with an updated report covering all videos submitted to the Office of the Attorney-General. “Eventually, the documents requested from the police as well as the updated report from Tiger Eye were submitted by the police in May, 2019.” But Ahmed Suale who was assisting in the case was killed on May 16 this year. Nonetheless, the Attorney General said, the review of the docket has since been completed and the “presentation of the case in court is imminent”.

READ ALSO:  Dep Health Minister misinformed Ghanaians – Rotation Nurses allege
By Isaac Essel | 3news.com ]]>