AG justifies freeing Abuakwa North MP’s ‘killers’


Ghana’s Attorney General has justified the freeing of two persons who were being tried for the murder of one of the country’s members of parliament, stating the action was necessary in view of further investigations into the February 9, 2016 incident.

The AG, Ms Gloria Akuffo, said the freed alleged killers of the MP for Abuakwa North in the Eastern Region, Joseph Boakye Danquah-Adu, will be re-arrested and the case reopened.

“They will be apprehended and investigations will be reopened,” she said Tuesday, few hours after the two persons were freed by the Accra High Court.

The discharge of the two persons followed a nolle prosequi issued by the Attorney General on Tuesday when the case came up for continuation, our correspondent reported from the court.

READ: Abuakwa North MP ‘killers’ freed on AG’s request

Daniel Aiedu, a19-year-old phone dealer was facing murder and robbery while his accomplice, Vincent Bosso, also a phone repairer, is charged with abetment of robbery in the February 9, 2016 incident which reignited calls for members of parliament to be provided adequate security.

Daniel Aiedu [R] and Vincent Bosso [L]
No reasons were given by the State Attorney who announced in court Tuesday that the AG Department is no more interested in the prosecution of two persons.

But the Attorney General later told Joy FM that it has become necessary to conduct further investigations into the case, explaining that “where the matter is being heard you cannot conduct further investigation so out of necessity you have to discontinue to enable you conduct”.

She said further investigation is ongoing hence the discontinuation of the case which had been lingering for the past year, adding “they [the alleged killers] are not walking at all”.

READ ALSO:  Arrest judges, judicial staff et al caught in Anas' video - Franklin Cudjoe

When asked whether they have already been arrested she said: “I am not in court…my state attorneys are in charge and I am expecting that they will do the necessary,”.

The two accused persons though were freed by the court, were whisked into a police vehicle, stating it is unclear whether that signifies their re-arrest.

Ms Akuffo also said she was unable to say if the two persons would be given fresh charges, except to say “I would not be able to tell until I get the outcome of the investigation”.

Prosecution’s case

According to Mr.Baah, the Prosecutor, on February 8, 2016, at about 2340 hours the deceased came home in his private vehicle driven by his driver, Samuel Berko Sarkodie.

Prosecution said the driver after parking handed over the ignition keys to the deceased and left for his residence at Kasoa, while the deceased retired to his bedroom.

He said at about 0100 hrs, Asiedu and Bosso who were armed went to the house of the deceased where Asiedu entered the bedroom of the deceased through the window, while the deceased was asleep.

“Asiedu began to search the room and the noise woke up the deceased who held him. Asiedu resisted and stabbed the deceased on the right chest above the breast”.

The Prosecution said the deceased held the knife while Asiedu pulled the knife through the deceased hands creating a deep cut in his palm.

Prosecution said the deceased who was bleeding profusely fell by his bed helpless while Asiedu stabbed him several times on the right chest and neck.

READ ALSO:  Nana Akufo-Addo will fulfil his promises – Veep assures Muslim community

Realizing that the deceased was almost dead, Asiedu left him and took away his three iPhones. The Prosecutor said the security man who heard a strange sound in the house alerted other security men within the vicinity.

Mr.Baah said Bosso realising the danger took to his heels leaving Asiedu behind. Asiedu, however, managed to descend from deceased room to the back house, climbed one of the poly tanks in the house and jumped over the electric fence into the adjoining house and escaped.

He said the security man then called the police emergency line and informed them of the situation. When the Police arrived the victim was already dead and his body was conveyed to the Police Hospital mortuary.

On February 15, an autopsy report from the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital gave the cause of death as “Exsanguination” and multiple stab injuries on the anterior and chest.”

Prosecution said Police investigations led to the arrest of accused persons who stated that their aim of going to the house of the deceased was to steal.

The Prosecutor said Asiedu explained that the deceased struggled with him when he entered the room and this compelled him to use the knife on him.

By Stephen Kwabena Effah||Ghana