All 82 students of the University of Ghana who were quarantined for having contact with a coronavirus infected person have tested negative for the virus that has killed five persons in the country.
Additional 12 employees of the University have also tested negative for the virus, the university authorities announced Monday.
The students and employees were asked to self-quarantine after they were identified through contact tracing as having come in contact with a non-residential student who imported the virus from an international trip.
A statement from the university said all the 94 people “have tested negative for the coronavirus after going through the mandatory 14-day period of quarantine”.
Meanwhile, the statement said because the university is currently closed, it arranged for a vehicle and transported all the people who live outside Accra, to their various destinations in the Ashanti, Northern, Upper West, Central and Western Regions.
“They also received the necessary counseling and education on precautionary measures with respect to covid-19” the statement said.
It said the infected student currently in isolation is reported to be making steady progress.
“We pray for her complete recovery to enable her to be discharged”, the university said.
Authorities of the university were forced to suspend lectures, clinical rotations and practicals on March 15 following news that one of the students who returned from an international trip and reported to campus had contracted the virus.
Ghana’s covid-19 situation
Confirmed coronavirus cases in Ghana now stands at 152 with five deaths and two recoveries as at March 30.
No case has been recorded in the last 24 hours as all 17 suspected cases in Kumasi and Tamale tested negative Monday.
These cases were from the Upper East (3 cases), North East Region (3 cases) and the Ashanti Region with 11 cases.
“No new test results have been received from Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research since the last update [Sunday, March 29],” it stated.
Meanwhile, health personnel are awaiting laboratory results of two persons who are suspected to have recovered from the disease that has killed thousands of people globally since the outbreak in China in December last year.
The results, they said, will inform decision on whether to discharge the two persons.