80% DKM customers settled, Ofori-Atta announces

The license of DKM Diamond Microfinance was revoked in 2016
Google search engine

The license of DKM Diamond Microfinance was revoked in 2016[/caption] The Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta, says approximately 80 per cent of customers of the defunct DKM Diamond Microfinance have been settled. About 99,858 customers have been repaid their claims while the remaining have had theirs considered except that some could not validate them, he said. Mr Ofori-Atta made this known on Thursday, November 15 while delivering the 2019 budget statement and economic policy of government. The budget is themed: ‘A Stronger Economy for Jobs and Prosperity’. Touching on allegations of non-payment of claims to DKM customers, the Finance Minister said steps have been taken to repay all claims. Former President John Dramani Mahama recently urged DKM customers to force the Akufo-Addo government to repay their claims as promised during the 2016 electioneering campaign. On a campaign tour in the Brong Ahafo Region last month, Mr Mahama asked President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to fulfill the promise to the DKM customers. “You promised that you will collect the people’s money for them when you come into power; please collect their DKM money and give it back to them,” Mr Mahama said. Incidentally, the license of DKM Diamond Microfinance was revoked in February, 2016 under the presidency of Mr Mahama. Presenting the 2019 budget statement, however, Mr Ofori-Atta said the official liquidator received claims to the tune of GH¢502 million. “I would like to inform the country that out of the 99,858 claims, 79,708 [representing] 80 percent have been settled and depositors have been paid.” He added that the government has set aside funds at the Bank of Ghana to pay the remaining 20 per cent of depositors upon validation. “An additional 12,612 claims have been fully provided for, but the customers have not as yet been able to show proof of deposit.” He therefore noted that 90 per cent of DKM claims have either been paid or provided for. “Depositors for the remaining 7,568 claims of above GH¢10,000 are yet to reach agreement with the liquidators.” By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana ]]>

Google search engine