The journey of life is shaped by a change in the questions we ask. Perhaps you desire to be a successful person, forgetting that at the heart of success lies self-discipline. Whether it’s success in your personal or professional life, your ability to exercise control over situations makes all the difference. In this New Year, take the resolve to wield full control over your thoughts and actions, because your thoughts, emotions, behaviours and habits will determine your success or failure in life. Here are some keys to guide you.
- Set specific targets. What do you set out to achieve? What are your priorities? Ask yourself why you really want something and set specific goals to attain it. Advisably, it is best to write them down to serve as a guide.
- Develop an action plan. It’s not enough to set targets, you need an action plan. Which steps will you take to achieve that goal? For instance if you plan on buying a house, you need to start saving towards it. Break your goals into smaller steps and write them down. This will help you to assess your progress.
- Time management. Success is controlling how you spend your time. Manage your time effectively. Limit time wasting activities and avoid distractions. If possible plan your day the night before to know what you want to do or accomplish the next day.
- Check your habits. Habits can either hurt or help your success in life. Adopt good habits to create the life you truly want to live. Aristotle once said, “Good habits formed at youth make all the difference.” Eat healthy. Have enough rest. Exercise as much as you can.
- Let go of negative energy. Surround yourself with people who inspire you. Don’t compare your progress with that of others. Focus on your why and work on your mental muscles.
- Keep a clean environment. Organizing your surroundings can go a long way to improve your level of discipline. With all the clam and scatter around, it can be difficult to arrange your thoughts together. Clean your home and office and neatly arrange your items. The order in your surroundings will relax your mental muscles and guide you on the path to self-discipline.
- Meditate on your future. Meditating on your future can help you to discipline yourself. When you commit to memory where you want to be in life, it boosts your morale and sets the right tone for action. Meditation will put your mind at ease. It will help you to realign with the goals that you set out to achieve.
- Persist. Life is busy and chaotic; it’s so easy to get discouraged. Nonetheless, take action. Just do it.