Six more new persons have contracted the deadly novel coronavirus in the Ashanti Region bringing the region’s tally to 59.
It is the lowest number to be recorded in the region within the last week.
The region which recorded its first case on March 16, is currently the second hotspot for the virus in the country after the Greater Accra Region which leads with 514 cases.
The new six cases in the Ashanti Region, our sources say, are yet to be added to the national numbers which has for the last two days remained at 641.
As at11:00 p.m. April 14, a total of 50,719 persons had been tested for the virus in Ghana of which 641 came out positive.
Seventeen of them, according to the Ghana Health Service, have been cured clinically having tested negative twice after they received treatment.
It said 66 more have tested negative once and awaiting second test based on which they will be discharged as cured should the results come out negative.
A total of 548 cases have been categorised as mild disease and are on treatment while the condition of two of them are said to be “moderate to severe cases. None in critical state”.
Eight of the infected persons have however died.
Information Minister Kojo Oppon Nkrumah on Thursday lauded the work done by the contact tracing teams and lab technicians across the country.
“Many thanks to the contact tracing teams and lab technicians for the aggressive work you are doing. You were tasked to find some about 10k at-risk-persons. You have done 5x that and so far about 51k of your samples have been tested,” he tweeted.
He has urged those working on the 12,000 backlog of samples to work around the clock to complete the process because “the nation is grateful for your service”.