163 National Service staff sacked, expected to be prosecuted soon

Google search engine
One hundred and sixty-three staff of the National Service Scheme have been dismissed with immediate effect, officials have announced.

The staff, including two persons who are on retirement, are also to be prosecuted and made to refund monies they embezzled using “ghost name scam”. 

Their dismissal, which was announced by the acting Executive Director of the Scheme, Dr. Michael Kpessa-Whyte on Friday, was based on the staff’s involvement in “ghost name scams” which the scheme says are acts of “gross misconduct”.

Meanwhile, a decision on three other staff serving as prosecution witnesses, have been deferred by the disciplinary committee that investigated the case.

A statement signed by Dr. Kpessa-Whyte said the dismissal was upon the advice of the Board of the Scheme following the receipt of the Board’s Disciplinary Committee on financial malfeasance identified in the operations of the Personnel Allowances Accounts in the 2013/14 service year.

“The dismissals are without prejudice to criminal prosecutions by the State. This is in line with President John Mahama’s resolve to fight corruption and abuse of public office,” the statement quoted Dr. Kpessa-Whyte.

Following a receipt of a report from the Bureau of National Investigations earlier this year, the Board of the Scheme authorized a Disciplinary Committee to initiate hearing proceedings of the staff involved in the “ghost name scam”, as required by the rules of the Public Services Commission, and recommend appropriate action.

By 3news.com/Ghana

]]>
Google search engine