Prospective voters are expected to verify their names in the voters register towards the 2016 general elections beginning Monday July 18, 2016.
Over 14 million eligible voters are expected to check their biometric details on the voters’ register in about 29,000 polling centers across the ten regions of Ghana.
This is to ensure a more credible register towards the general elections tentatively on November 7.
As part of its educational and sensitization campaign, the National Commission for Civic Education is advocating and encouraging all prospective voters, to take time in going through all the processes in checking the biometric details.
The Greater Accra Director of the National Commission for Civic Education Madam Lucille Hewlett Annan said three different lists are going to be available at the various centers during the exhibition period: the Provisional Voters Register List, the Exception list and the Multiple Registration List.
According to Madam Annan, it is very important for every eligible voter to make time to go through all the three lists at the exhibition centers.
“Everyone must ensure he or she goes through all the three lists provided at the exhibition centers to enable the officials rectify any form of mistake that might have occurred through no fault of the voter.”
She said, it is very crucial for all eligible voters to ensure that their biometric details are checked and certified ahead of the forthcoming elections.
CONTENT OF THE THREE LISTS
- The provisional Voters Register (Main List)
- The 2015 Voters Register and
- The 2016 Provisional Voters Register of each polling station at the Exhibition Centers.
- The voters register indicates the following details of each voter;
- Voter Identification Number (B) Age (c) Sex (D) Name (E) Tick off box (F) Photograph and (G) Barcode of voter.
- The Exception List
- Contains the names and photographs of applicants whose registration (as voters) were challenged on grounds of suspected disqualification during the registration exercise and were subsequently disqualified by their respective DDRCs.
- It also includes persons who were registered outside the official registration dates and time.
3 Multiple Registration Lists.
- Contains details of persons who have registered more than once.
- Persons whose details (names and photographs) appear either in the exception list or the Multiple Registration List will not have their manes and photographs on the Provisional List.
The exhibition is expected to last for 21 days and end on August 7, 2016.
By Nhyiraba Akomapa Aggrey | Onua 95.1FM | 3news.com