The former Member of Parliament for North Dayi Constituency in the Volta Region, George Loh, has described a comment by the Defence Minister, Dominic Nitiwul, that the anti-illegal mining taskforce is facing a lot of provocation from illegal miners, making their work extremely difficult as “bogus”.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) member said “this explanation is bogus. He should go and revise his note”.
Minister of Defence Dominic Nitiwul in an attempt to defend Operation Vanguard said the anti-illegal mining taskforce is facing a lot of provocation from illegal miners.
According to the Minister, some of the illegal miners have adopted a strategy whereby they remove the control board of the excavators they use at the end of their mining activity, making the equipment immovable and difficult to cart away but the taskforce returns to the same site the next day to realize the excavator has been used to work on the mining pit.
The joint military-cum-police taskforce reportedly invaded Extra Gold Company at Akyem Banso in the Eastern Region last week and set some excavators of the company ablaze, an action that was roundly condemned by a section of the public.
They are said to have reportedly fired several gunshots at the premises of the company.
The Operation Vanguard is also being accused of allegedly murdering four miners in Atiwa on Friday.
Commenting on the issues on TV3’s New Day hosted by Bright Nana Amfoh on Tuesday, lawyer Loh said “they [Operation Vanguard] are soldiers and we are civilians. They have gone through training and we have not. So, in the face of provocations, they should bring their training expertise to bear. That is the way to go”.
“I have said over and over that, how on earth do you go and burn excavator when we need them to dredge the Odaw River.
“This is an avenue for the government to get more of excavators for various assemblies and not to burn them,” the former legislator explained.
By Kweku Antwi-Otoo|TV3|3news.com|Ghana