The National Peace Council has denied issuing any press statement condemning the New Patriotic Party’s vice presidential candidate, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, on his ‘religious inflammatory’ comment.
Dr Bawumia is reported to have urged Muslims to support him because he is a Muslim, adding “another major issue that I want to bring to the attention of the people is that; if we look at the Flagstaff House today, it does not reflect the people of Ghana in terms of religion”.
Following from that, a statement purported to be coming from the Council and signed by Rev. Prof. Emmanuel Asante circulated on social media Monday in which it condemned utterances of Dr Bawumia.
The said statement described the utterances as “unfortunate, irresponsible, unwarranted and a recipe fir chaos if allowed to go without condemnation”
However, speaking on 3FM Monday, Rev. Asante said he had not issued any statement whatsoever on behalf of the Council but was unsure if any such statement had been issued by any of the Regional Peace Councils.
He said as far as he is concerned as the Council has not issued any statement on Dr. Bawumia’s comments, neither has he in his personal capacity issued any statement on that.
“Any statement purporting to go round as a statement from the National Peace Council may not be. If it is a statement coming from the Regional Peace Council, that’s a different thing, I have not yet been informed”.
By Mercy Dalyne Lokko 3FM 92.7|tv3network.com