Changes have been made to the command structure of the Ghana Police Service in what appears to be a direct response to the incessant armed robbery cases in the country, especially in the capital Accra.
The Director-General of Operations COP/Dr. George Akuffo Dampare has been replaced by Eastern Regional Commander DCOP/Mr. Simon Afeku.
COP/Dr. Akuffo Dampare is now heading to the Research and Planning as the Director General.
COP/Christian Tetteh Yohunu who used to be the Director-General in charge of Special Duties is now the Director-General responsible for Police Intelligence.
The changes in command positions were made by the Inspector General of Police, David Asante Apeatu on Thursday
The changes are as follow:
- COP/Dr. George Akuffo Dampare, Director-General/Operations is now the Director-General/Research and Planning;
- COP/Christian Tetteh Yohunu, Director-General/ Special Duties is now the Director-General/Police Intelligence;
- COP/Rev. David Nenyi Ampah-Benin, Central Regional Commander is now the Director-General/Special Duties;
- DCOP/Mr. George Tuffour, Tema Regional Commander is now the Volta Regional Commander;
- DCOP/Mr. Simon Afeku, Eastern Regional Commander is now the Director-General/Operations;
- DCOP/Mr. Paul Manly Awuni, Director-General/Private Security Operations is now the Central Regional Commander;
- DCOP/Mr. Alphonse Adu Amankwa, Commander in charge of Central Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU). Accra Region is now the Regional Commander/Eastern Region;
- DCOP/Nana Asomah Hinneh, Volta Regional Commander is now the Tema Regional Commander;
- ACP/Mr. Anderson Fosu Achaah, Commandant of the Police Academy is now the Commander in charge of the Central Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU), Accra Region;
- ACP/Dr. Sayibu Pabi Garibu, Police Intelligence and Professional Standards Bureau (PIPS) is now the Director, National Operations;
- ACP/Mr. Eric Winful, National Operations is now transferred to the Project Unit, Police Headquarters.
“The Police Administration requests the usual support of the public in the discharge of duties of these Commanders and all other Police Officers, ” A statement by the Director Eneral/Public Affairs, ACP David Eklu said in a statement.
By 3news.com | Ghana