Eleven students of Kumasi Academy SHS are still on admission at four hospitals in the Ashanti region after being diagnosed with the Influenza type A pandemic strain (swine flu), the regional health directorate has said.
The Regional Health Director, Dr Emmanuel Kojo Tenkorang, updating the media about the outbreak on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, said three are on admission at the KNUST Hospital, one at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, five at the Kumasi South Hospital and two at the Manhyia Government Hospital.
According to him, 85 cases were recorded in the outbreak which had claimed four lives so far.
However, he said, no case has been recorded since Monday, December 11, 2017 as health personnel work around the clock to contain it.
Meanwhile, Dr. Tenkorang has debunked claims by some bereaved parents that their wards did not die as a result of the swine flu.
He observed that the deceased might have suffered from other diseases which coincided with the H1N1 virus leading to their deaths.
He also rejected claims by some doctors that the outbreak was as result of the rearing of swine in the school. This is “palpably false”, he said and demanded health personnel making the assertion to go back to school to get educated again.
Kwadwo Antwi Boasiako |Akoma FM |3news.com